Computer USB Headset Troubleshooting: Mute not working
Article ID :
Why isn't the mute button on my computer headset working?
- You could have exceeded the allocated power on your USB port, rendering the mute switch inactive.
- Possible Human Interface Device conflict or missing drivers.
- Disconnect the headset, and then reconnect it to see if this reactivates the mute switch. If so, then you might have insufficient USB power.
- You could be missing a driver. Go to your Device Manager (instructions below) and look for the Human Interface Device. Make sure there are no conflicts on the HID Compliant Consumer Control Device or the USB Human Interface Device.
If you have other USB devices, these drivers could be listed more than once. If there are any conflicts, make sure that they are in reference to your DSP headset, and then attempt to update those drivers. You might need to reinsert your operating system CD so that the headset can find these drivers. Detailed instructions are listed below.
NOTE: No drivers are needed for Mac computers. There are five drivers needed to run the DSP headsets. Four of these drivers are from the Windows operating systems and one is from the PerSono software if the customer has it installed in their computer. To get to the Device Manager:
In Windows XP and Vista:
- Click Start, then Control Panel.
- In the Control Panel, click System.
- In the System Properties window, click the Hardware tab, and then click Device Manager.
The following drivers need to appear in your Device Manager:
Human Interface Devices:
Sound Video and Game Controllers:
Universal Serial Bus controllers:
- HID Compliant Consumer Control Device
- USB Human Interface Device
- USB Composite device
- Plantronics USB Bulk Driver or Plantronics USB Audio Adapter.