Computer Headset Troubleshooting: Driver conflict with Lexmark printers
There is an apparent conflict between the Plantronics USB Bulk driver and the driver for the Lexmark X83 Multifunction USB printer under Windows 2000.
Contact the Plantronics Technical Assistance Center to obtain a customized INF file for installing the headset for use with the Lexmark printer. If the error has already occurred:
- Unplug the headset.
- Go to a Command Prompt.
- Type "CD\" (without the quotes).
- Type "set devmgr_show_nonpresent_devices=1"
- Type "cd\WINNT\System32" (for Windows XP type “cd\Windows\System32")
- Type "start devmgmt.msc"
- Go to the View menu and select "Show Hidden Devices"
- Scroll down to the category labeled "Human Interface Devices"
- If the "HID-compliant consumer control device" is listed, remove it.
- If the "USB Human Interface Device" is listed, remove it.
- Scroll down to the category labeled "Sound, Video and Game Controllers"
- If the device labeled "USB Audio Device" is listed, remove it.
- Uninstall any greyed out copies of USB Audio Device also.
- Scroll down to the category labeled "Universal Serial Bus Controllers".
- If the device labeled "Plantronics USB Bulk Driver" is listed, remove it (and any greyed-out copies of it).
- Remove the device labeled "USB Composite Device" and any greyed-out copies.
- Select the "USB Root Hub" and click "Remove"
- Select the "USB Host Controller" and click "Remove"
- Restart the computer. (Windows should reinstall the USB Root Hub and the USB Host Controller shortly after restarting.)
- Delete any copies of UsbPlant.inf from the hard drive. Likely locations are c:\Windows\Inf and c:\Program Files\Persono.
- Plug in Lexmark printer.
- Contact the Plantronics Technical Assistance Center for a customized INF file for the headset. Do not attempt to install the headset using the drivers on the Persono CD.